Mould is a naturally occurring fungus that can quickly bloom in sufficient quantities indoors and outdoors on finding suitable conditions. Their growth increases many folds in moisturizing surroundings. Moulds can grow on the walls of your home, and it is more dangerous in winter. They spread to new places via the air through tiny spores. 

However, trace amounts of mould are always present in our surroundings, but spores start to grow when they land in suitable places with moisture. In addition, there are multiple health issues associated with moulds in the walls of your home. Read this blog to learn about health issues related to mould in the wall.

 What is Mould, and how does it Form on the Walls? 

Mould or mildew is usually found in damp kitchens, washrooms, and laundry rooms. Mould spores are lightweight and airborne so they can be inhaled in no time. Mould can cause several health issues, including skin allergic reactions, respiratory ailments, and skin rash. Moreover, it can lead to vomiting, headaches, and drowsiness. 

Moulds can grow on your home's damp walls and promote more dampness and moisture content. Therefore, they can result in poor ventilation and low-quality air in your surroundings. If you notice any sign of mould on your wall, it is necessary to test it quickly. There are some ways to test the presence of Mould; however, the dampness meter is the most common one.

The dampness meter tells you the moisture content from which you can predict whether it is enough to support mould growth. Using a black light is another standard method to test the presence of mildew. Usually, mould spores are difficult to see. However, you will easily detect them under ultraviolet light. Afterwards, you can take a suspected sample in a certified laboratory to verify the presence of a spore. 

In short, remember to act quickly because if it remains uncontrolled, it can damage your health and home. Ask for help from certified technicians; if you suspect any sign of mould on the wall in your home. On the other hand, it can cause several health hazards if it remains unchecked and uncontrolled.

Indications of Moulds in Your Home Walls 

Indeed it is difficult to detect the presence of mould in the house. It needs to be determined. However, the mould spot on the wall is easy to detect as we can see the mildew spores on the wall. 

Usually, the residents of ground-floor apartments face mould issues more in their homes than residents of high-floor apartments. In a flood or leaking pipework, you should seek professional assistance to dry out the spaces and remove anything that could be a breeding place for mould.

However, if you cannot detect any mould, you should look at the less apparent areas, but your bedroom has a foul odor. Therefore, checking all the areas, including ceiling, windows, furniture, humidifiers, and wardrobes, is advisable.

If its growth remains unchecked, it will damage the infrastructure of your home and causes health issues. There are common signs of mildew in the wall, like foul smell, excess moisture, asthma flare-ups, and water seepage in your home.

Expected Health Risks Due to Mould in Wall

It is noticeable that only some mould strains are hazardous to your health. Only 100 strains of Mould have adverse effects on your health. Luckily, only a few numbers of these moulds are usually found in homes. Its spores are small and can easily enter your body. 

Mould in the wall can result in different health issues, including respiratory infections, allergies and skin rash. Mould also releases volatile organic compounds in the air that elevate the histamine level in your body. As a result, you may face sneezing, runny nose, and red eyes. 

According to Dr Andy Whittamore, individuals who do not have asthma may develop an allergic response to exposure to mould. He also says that Mould can be inhaled, followed by growth grow in the recipient's lungs and can be fatal.

Individuals having low immunity, including children and old aged adults, are more susceptible victims of mildew. It can also trigger asthma attacks and result in breathlessness, coughing, and wheezing.

 In more sensitive people, it can lead to fever and lung infection. In addition, the studies show that children exposed to mould in the first year of life have more chances of developing asthma.

A person who sleeps in a room having mouldy walls may suffer from sleep issues.

Even one large study on household mildew shows that it increases sleep problems, including insomnia, snoring, and drowsiness.

In addition, indoor moulds are a famous cause of allergic rhinitis. Another research shows the potential for allergic rhinitis can result in sleep problems like restless sleep, obstructive sleep apnea, insomnia and snoring.

In rare cases, hallucinations are also faced by some individuals living in mildew surroundings. Always remember that the mould is not far if you face a dampness issue. Mould combined with dampness also leads to various health issues, headaches, skin rashes and runny nose.

Chronic Health Hazards due to Mould in the Wall

Prolonged mould exposure can also lead to chronic diseases. According to one study, people who complained about mildew odor in their homes had poor overall health, chronic bronchitis, and poor vision. These are the common side effects of sleeping in a mouldy room.

Depression and other mental illnesses may cause you sleepless nights. In one of their studies, researchers discovered a link between mouldy houses and depression. Our bodies are calm while sleeping, but they actively repair any damage.

Sleep deprivation harms health in various ways, including how focused and energetic one is and its links to conditions such as Alzheimer's, heart attacks, obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, and others.

If the mildew growth is unchecked, it will damage your home's infrastructure and cause health problems. If you suspect mould is growing in your home, you must immediately remove it. 

The initial step is to identify the source of the moisture problem and, if possible, repair it. After addressing the source of the moisture, you can begin cleaning the mouldy area.


The average adult spends 90% of their time indoors, so ensuring that our living environment is safe and comfortable is important. The presence of dampness and mould is anything but, so if you notice any of the above signs, it's worth trying a few remedies to help your situation.

If you need help solving your problem, it is time to hire a professional to remove mould from your home wall. In conclusion, people who sleep in moist environments with visible mould on them will not get enough sleep and suffer from many health issues.